Who we are
matterlab is a start-up focusing on product development for the AEC (Architecture, Engineering, Construction) industries. We build our own cloud, web & generative design apps, as well as helping partners build their own. Our team is diverse and are former experts in the field, with computational designers, architects and software developers.
We're building greenfield web-based products for the built environment and we’re looking for the right person to help us. This role will see you joining a talented team, with opportunity to grow and reporting directly to the founder.
Who you are
We are searching for a Back-end Developer with working experience of building back-end APIs and modern web development. We encourage transparency, autonomy and innovation so we’re looking for someone that would appreciate the open & collaborative environment.
Required skills & experience
Whilst the role says front-end, we try not to limit people’s potential and further development, so if you’d one day like to do some back-end work or even become a full-stack developer, we’d encourage you to do so.
For this front-end role, you are required to demonstrate experience & skills in the following:
General development experience
- development in a source-controlled environment (Git) with modern DevOps practices
- experience working using an Agile approach & methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban, XP
- knowledge of unit and functional testing frameworks (Jest, etc)
- experience writing testable, SOLID code and knowledge/use of design patterns
- an appreciation of good User Interface (UI) & User Experience (UX) design
- experience working with OAuth 2.0 APIs
- knowledge of CSS & HTML
- experience in a front-end framework (prefer VueJS but Angular/React are also cool)
- knowledge of CSS pre-processors (LESS/SASS) & frameworks (Bulma, Bootstrap)
- experience with bundlers (e.g. webpack)
- experience building single-page applications or progressive web apps
- excellent verbal & written communication skills
- strong attention to detail
- initiative & proactive working methodology
- highly adaptable and keen to develop your skills in a collaborative & engaging environment
- ability to translate business requirements into technical requirements & solutions
Desired skills & experience
We don't expect any one person to be experienced in everything, so let us know which (if any) of the below nice-to-have skills you might have:
- experience working with 3D Graphics and CAD
- knowledge or interest pertaining to Architecture, Engineering, Construction industries
- experience with microservices & event-based architectures
- C# (or Java) knowledge and experience with ASP .NET Core (or Framework)
- experience with Azure (or AWS/DigitalOcean) environment & services
- Masters Degree in Computer Science, CS Engineering, or related fields
- Intermediate-level experience in software development of web-based platforms
As part of this role, you'll help build exciting new web platforms for our clients, as well as on our own products & tools - and the responsibilities of this role reflect this dual scope.
- Contribute to the design, implementation, testing, and deployment of client projects
- Build applications & APIs according to specifications
- Write code using core engineering principles & industry best practices to ensure quality, usability and performance
- Define and build test suites, perform analysis to identify opportunities for improvement & automation and build them
- Closely collaborate with our team of developers and product manager to build the best product possible
- Participate in our agile development process, including sprint planning workshops, code reviews and quality assurance activities
- Help ensure our client projects success by participating in workshops and discussions
- Our great working environment and relatively small team means there's plenty of opportunities to help shape our office & development culture.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of everyone's skillsets, whether it's through best practice guides, presentations or hackathons
- Contribute to design, implementation, testing, and deployment of our own products
- Contribute to our culture & love of open-source software